Saturday 30 March 2019

'Lavaur'. Repair to Verge link.

The movement has all been stripped down and treated as the 'Marciac', namely cleaned with fine emery paper and steel wool. I have not detailed this as it is a simple process, just time consuming. With this in mind the next clock I do I will steep the steel in vinegar overnight and treat the brass to an ammonia / water mix and see how that does.

While stripping this one though I found that the dogs bone verge / pendulum hanger link was made of steel. As such this was cutting through the point where it contacted the verge link. I presume this piece was a previous replacement.
So solve the issue I cut a new dogs bone link out of some scrap brass and replaced it. The piece I used had some test engraving on the reverse so I fitted this facing out as I like the look.



No comments:

Post a Comment