Sunday 10 March 2019

Morbier Clock, 'Marciac'.

After a fortunate find recently on a long cased Comtoise clock i got all interested in them and found myself buying 'Morbier Clocks' by Lawrence A Seymour. Well worth it.

Well, i read it yesterday and today found myself at a local brocante looking at the usual stalls of random old stuff that generally falls into the crap/treasure category!

However, i did find myself staring at a Morbier clock sat on the ground with two rusty weights and a lot of cobwebs. A short discussion later about its lack of merits with the stall holder, namely the lack of pendulum and mouse detrius within the movement and i found myself walking away with a project for next to nothing.

Once home is where the truth is generally revealed, and i find myself very happy. A strip down and cleaning project is in the offing but all parts move as they should and all appears, to my totally inexpert eye, to be there. At the very least i have an education ahead.

One thing i particularly like is that the dial is marked 'Marciac', a local town to me, so the clock has extra meaning. 







2 comments:

  1. A nice early-ish Comtoise. You're right, it might be even dirtier and cruddier than all 3 of mine. I suspect that the cage will need rust removal and repainting. I tend to use gloss black, but if you prefer a more "antique" looking finish you can use flat black as well. Very cool that it's a local piece. Does it have a pendulum? Key? Looks like you will need new cords, hooks, and a large washer between the hands (mostly decorative, but it looks better with one in place. The hands are nice, and they're not a pattern I've seen often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JC. Yes, i have a little work ahead. No pendulum, key, cord hooks or washers. So will be attending a few Vide Greniers to source these. I have some old French Francs somewhere so will drill a hole in them and use them in lieu of washers. I am very pleased with the clock though and the size of pieces will help in my restoration as it is my first.

      Delete